Monday, November 7, 2011

The Dreaded Phone Call

We arrived home yesterday afternoon to a cryptic voicemail from one of our sales reps.  We knew immediately that our lot must have been sold.  Sure enough, another sales rep (not either of ours) sold our lot on a non-contingent contract.  Our main sales rep K is on vacation, so B was voted to make the call.  I felt bad for him as he seemed a little nervous as to our reaction.

B laid out our choices: Lift our contingency and go ahead with our build or select another lot and wait for this to happen again.  Of course, he didn't mention option 3: walk away.  We are probably not in a position to lift our contingency.  There is a lot available right next to the first lot we selected.  It's a little bit smaller and has a lot premium due to some very small green space (otherwise known as weeds) that it borders.  This is the last cul-de-sac lot remaining at this stage in the plan.  There will be more opened up eventually, but not in the near future.

We have continued to look throughout this time as we were keeping our options open.  We will probably move over to that other lot so that we are able to keep our pricing.  It just stinks that we have gone through the entire process and spent so much time on this house.  I wish we didn't do all our selections already.  We put in a lot of time and effort to have to walk away.  The only other remaining lots besides the one next to our original one are on the main street.  There are about 75 houses in the current plan, which would mean all of those cars driving past us daily.  We have kids and don't really want to deal with traffic, hence the cul-de-sac.

We were well informed when we signed our contingency contract that this was a possibility. I'm not upset with Ryan because we had a feeling this would happen if our house took awhile to sell.  It's just disappointing that we're not going to have the lot that we felt was the best one for us.


  1. Sorry to hear Rachel.
    We did the contingency before and things didn't pan out like we hoped forcing us to walk away. So I get ya on this one. Good luck.

  2. Whatever you do, dont settle. You are going to be in this new house for a long time, and you are paying good money for the lot and the home. Make sure its something you are completely happy with - you dont want any regrets! I hope it all works out for you!!

  3. Oh no, I'm so sorry. Too bad the other lot has a premium. Maybe they would be willing to lift it or reduce it since you lost your lot. I would think they would rather do that then have you walk away. Wouldn't hurt to try. I agree with you on the main street. Good luck!

  4. Sorry to hear this. I can kinda sympathize with how you feel on the walking away part. We have a few things going on where that might need to be considered. It sucks after all the time, heart and planning that we've all already put into it.